top of page

No-deal Brexit Papers

The Government has just published a further batch of “No Deal” Brexit briefings, a number of which may be of interest to tourism business. If you're planning an international trip after 29th March 2019, you may need to plan ahead.

Information below is based on information received from the British Education Travel Association (BETA).

Aviation Security

  • There will be no change for people undertaking direct flights from the UK or flights from the UK that transfer through a UK airport

  • There will be no change for people undertaking flights to the UK from the EU or transferring through a UK airport

  • However, if the EU decides not to recognise the UK aviation security system, then passengers from the UK and their luggage will have to be rescreened if they transfer flights at EU airports

Flights To and from the UK

  • UK and EU licensed airlines would lose the automatic right to operate air services between the UK and the EU and would have to seek individual permissions to operate between the UK and the EU country concerned.

  • It is envisaged that reciprocal agreements would be quickly introduced to maintain air services

  • EU-licensed airlines would lose the ability to operate services within the UK (e.g. from Heathrow to Edinburgh), and UK-licensed airlines would lose the ability to operate services within the EU

  • EU-licensed airlines would need a foreign carrier permit and UK safety authorisation from the UK Civil Aviation Authority to operate into the UK. UK airlines would need the corresponding permissions and certifications to fly into the EU.

  • It is envisaged that reciprocal arrangements would be quickly introduced to maintain services.

  • Of the 128 other non-countries with flights to the UK, 111 have bilaterial agreements with the UK and would be unaffected

  • There are 17 countries which have aviation agreements with the UK as a result of the UK’s membership of the EU. However, replacement arrangements will be in place for maintaining flights from these countries before 29 March 2019

  • Leaving the EU will not impact slot allocation or air traffic management

  • EU passenger rights legislation will be retained in domestic law by the Withdrawal Act.

  • UK operating licences and route licenses issued before 29 March 2019 would remain valid

Operating bus or coach services abroad

  • UK bus and coach operators carrying out international journeys must currently hold a Standard International Operator’s Licence, along with a Community Licence for journeys to and from the EU.

  • In the event of a No Deal Brexit, UK bus and coach operators could no longer rely on automatic recognition by the EU of UK-issued Community Licences

  • The UK also participates in the Interbus Agreement, which allows bus and coach operators to carry out occasional services between the participating countries. Currently, the UK’s membership is via the EU but the UK Govt intends to re-join the Interbus Agreement as an independent member before 29 March 2019. However, this does not apply to regular services.

  • UK drivers would continue to be able to drive in all EU countries but may have to obtain the correct International Driving Permit

  • The EU will retain a Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) scheme and recognize EU CPCs. UK CPCs will be recognized in the EU when the UK joins Interbus.

Vehicle insurance

  • At the moment UK nationals driving to EEA countries (and vice versa) do not have to carry an international certificate of insurance (Green Card)

  • Under a No Deal Brexit, UK nationals would need to carry a Green Card as proof of third party motor insurance cover when driving in the EEA. Commercial operators would need a Green Card for each vehicle.

  • Similarly, EEA drivers would need a Green Card to drive in the UK

3 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page